When users subscribe to a workbook or view, a snapshot of the view is email to them on scheduled basis, so they can see the latest updates without having to sign into Tableau Server. You can have any user to subscribe to any views that the user has permission to access. If you give all your workbooks interactor permission to All Users group, it means that any user has permission to any views, and then any user can subscribe to any views.
Tableau introduced ‘Subscribe other’s feature which allows content owner or admin to subscribe other users if the other users have interactor permission and have email address and subscribe others allowed at site level . Tableau has also introduced conditional subscription which will not send email if view is empty – it is mostly used for alerts
Note : You can’t subscribe to a group. It should be an individual User.
- Tableau Server must have subscriptions enabled via the configuration tool
- The Site settings must have Subscriptions enabled.
- The User trying to subscribe must have an email address
- The User trying to subscribe must have View permissions on the view
- The data connections in the workbook must have credentials embedded (or require none)
- The view must not have been loaded via a redeemed Trusted Ticket (trusted authentication)
Configure the server to send subscription emails
As an administrator or interactor, you decide which view allows subscriptions.
- Open https://tableau.CompanyName.com from your browser
- Select Desired -Reporting from “Default/Your Specific Folder” Project Folder.
- Search the required Tableau Dashboard by entering the Tableau Workbook name on your left hand side. You can use multiple criteria’s like Owner name, Tag, Has an alert etc.
- Click on the Dashboard view thumbnail as shown in the below image.
- Click on the “Subscribe” button present at the header of the Toolbar.
- Select any subscription you want to update. You can subscribe either a “View” or an entire “Workbook” for your emails as part of data-driven alerts.
- Select the required Schedule Time for your Subscription as per the below mentioned image. All subscribed users will get an automatic email from tableau sever with an exact copy of dashboard Snapshot.
- After adding a Scheduler, it’s a good practice to select the checkbox.The empty-view option sends subscription emails only when data exists in a view. It’s a good choice for high-priority alerts.
- Add a meaningful name as a subject to your default scheduler.
- After Choosing your schedule and subject, then search for and add users to the subscription. Select whether you want to be included in the subscription, then add other subscribers by clicking “add.” Search for and include, one at a time, any users on your server. When you’re done, click the subscribe button—and there you go! You have successfully subscribed another user to your workbook or view.
- Go to the Subscription View and you will see all the name of the subscribed users.
Leave a comment
You must be logged into post a comment.